The focus of this course is to provide learners with structured opportunities to investigate occupations in the Australian labour market. Looking into jobs that interest them will help learners make more informed choices and decisions regarding their future in the workforce.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Recall the main differences between a job and a career
- Use research notes to determine occupation full-time employment levels and median earnings
- Analyse why some occupations earn more than others
- Explain research findings that were surprising to them
- Recall whether the highest level of qualifications always guarantees the highest income
- Describe how they expect income levels to influence their choice of career
- Use employment quiz results to identify occupations they are interested in exploring further
- Recall how many levels there are to the AQF
- Recall three researched elements of the Australian labour market
This course consists of three key areas:
- Understanding the difference between jobs and careers
- Investigating the Australian labour market to better understand the jobs and careers available
- Identifying and learning more about jobs and careers that are of personal interest
We start with the basic terminology and course concepts and then rapidly move into understanding the Australian labour market as a whole before focusing our attention on jobs and careers that are of interest to each individual learner.
Completing the course
This learning is self-guided. What this means for you as a learner is that you have more choice, but greater responsibility. Self-guided means you set the pace and choose how and when to complete readings, videos and activities. Self-guided also means you are responsible for checking your answers against our model answers or feedback.
Don’t forget, you probably also know some people around you, your family, friends, and work colleagues, that might be able to help.
We’d love to acknowledge your learning through a badge. So if you’d like to get a badge, here’s what you need to do:
- View every page of this course
- Complete every activity
- Complete the course survey
- Achieve 100% on the final quiz
Once you’ve done this, your badge will appear on the overview page for this course.
Click on the ‘Contents’ link when you are ready to begin.
Standards (for educators)
The content and tasks in this course have been aligned to the following Australian Curriculum elements:
- Work Studies
- Work skills – Investigate a wide range of occupations, and the skills and personal qualities required in these fields (ACWSCL006)
- Career development and management – Source career information and resources (ACWSCL014)
- Learning to learn – Link personal profiles with potential work opportunities (ACWSCL021)
- Consumer and financial literacy – Young people are starting to think of the future, possibly investing and using their enterprising spirit to make money, particularly through digital opportunities